Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The move in from hell

So here we are.....4:30 in the afternoon and we just get the keys to our new house....4 days past the move out deadline. We've been 'homeless' for a few days now and sleeping on couches with my in laws visiting. We've spent an extra $1000.00 to be homeless....who knew one would need to invest in homeless-ness. At any rate we got the keys so then the real fun started.....the move out.

We already had everything more or less loaded in the U-Haul and our truck....the stuff that didn't fit we just crammed into my mom's garage. Sam and I had this vision of walking into our first house with doggies and having it be all exciting and new and 'movie perfect'.....mistake number one, we should have know the 'Mendez Law' would apply :).

We raced over with the U-Haul, Sam's parents, doggies, Luis and his girlfriend and immediately started throwing stuff into our garage racing against the setting sun. Now keep in mind, Sam's dad is having knee replacement surgery as soon as they get back to AZ so he's more or less the 'supervisor' of the whole move in operation. Sam didn't want his parents to feel like they needed to help us move in so he told his mom to go on into the house and do what she loves.....cooking.

So Sam's mom (who brought 2 carry ons FULL of Sam's fav foods from AZ mind you....really I didn't think TSA allowed stuff like that as carry on but who knows!!!) is like 'I'm just going to whip up a light dinner for us all!!'. I looked at her like she was TOTALLY INSANE.....here we are moving in to a new house with no idea where ANY of our stuff is....the house itself has been vacant since Oct so God only knows what might be in the kitchen....we have just gone through weeks of HELL and STRESS....and here is this wonderful sweet lady wanting to cook for us....more power to her I thought she was LOCO though!!! 

I wondered to myself as I see her unloading her suitcases full of food.....'do I dare ask what she's going to make??' Well I did....and she's like, oh I'm just whipping up something simple, some homemade tortillas, carneasada on the BBQ, guacamole, rice, and beans! @*(&#*(@&#?????!!!!! Are you KIDDING?!??! I was right she IS crazy!!!


So here is us....unload one box, Sam's mom....where are the plates.....me--no idea....unload one box, Sam's mom....where are the spices....me--no idea....unload one box, Sam's mom....have you seen the pots/pans....me--you know what they are probably in the sea of boxes in our garage I have no clue!!! Oh ya and she doesn't speak a lot of English....and my Spanish SUCKS so I hear her ask Sam or Luis about the dishes in Spanish and I understand but I don't know how to respond so then I have to wait for them to translate and I KNOW I'm only getting partial translations.....let's just say by the time they left I didn't care if I EVER heard Spanish again or ate another tortilla EVER!!!

After I got Sam's mom going on the BBQ we went back to unloading the U-Haul. Throughout this whole moving experience our 'family motto' has been to play the 'Pollyanna glad game'....so we do the 'on the bright side' as our Pollyanna game....and this whole time we've been saying 'on the bright side, no one's died yet or had a major medical issue'!!! Well somewhere in between unloading the U-Haul and the suburban I kneeled on the 'boy' end of the plug and it went into my bad knee cap!!!

)(!@*#()* SERIOUSLY why is it always me!?!? On the bright side it didn't break skin but I couldn't walk more or less the rest of the night, it was horrible!!! Oh and then trying to move with two doggies who don't listen to ANYONE was horrible....Sasha got out and ran around the neighborhood but I guess that was a good thing because Sam met everyone on the block chasing her through everyones yards. Sugar just barked at everything....then we tried to lock them in the house and they freaked out and started barking....Sasha eventually just bolted for the door and ran out any chance she got.

Sam got to meet the neighbors, they all think Luis is our kid which is fine we just introduce him as our 'step son' anyway (side note he DOES look like he could be our kid though which makes it that much more believable LOL)....good luck trying to figure THAT one out nosey neighbors LOL...one neighbor thinks Sam's mom is his wife---apparently they think I'm the 'white slave laborer'--and our other neighbors are Mennonite missionaries (they gave us a card.....so now we have officially been solicited by the JW's, Mormons, Fund Christians, and Mennonites....I think our souls are covered should the worst happen!!!).
As we are unloading and fighting the dogs every moment of every day....we are randomly able to observe things about the house....like that fact that the fridge smells like its housed a dead body for at LEAST 6 months....or perhaps the fact that there are Christmas lights STILL up but yet no one has lived in the house in Oct??? So we started noticing weird random things and suddenly I started to have a moment where I was like DEAR GOD WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!?!??! THIS IS GOING TO BE REALLY HARD!!!

So as I am in the middle of the breakdown that I so desperately needed, Sam's mom comes in and is like....where do you keep the cleaning supplies (in Espanol) I want to clean your fridge it smells funny. I could have cried right then and there but I was just too tired and too dehydrated so I just had to laugh.

Eventually we got the truck unloaded around 10:00 pm (Sam was sure it was only going to take 2 hours to unload....I must say I was right and he was wrong!!), got the beds up so we could FINALLY sleep in our own beds one night with our doggies, the fridge smelling semi acceptable, and enjoyed a home cooked meal thanks to Sam's mom.

Overall, the move could have been better to say the least but then again it could have been worse....someone could have actually died :).

No comments:

Post a Comment